Monday, April 28, 2008

Shoe Shopping: a Necessary Evil

First off, let me start off by saying I'm a Pisces, which means I'm extremely picky about my shoes. Sometimes I buy shoes because they are pretty and cheap (like flats from H&M), but most of the time they have to be comfy, lovely, within my price range, vegan, and look good on my feet. That last one is usually the hardest to find because I have really small feet, so sneakers especially look pretty stupid if I don't find the right pair.

For years now I have been buying New Balance sneakers. They seem to be the only major brand that look right on my feet. I was going to go to the mall today (since they told me not to come into work) and get some new shoes (because I threw away my old ones in San Francisco back in January. One of them had a big gaping hole).

It wouldn't mean so much to find that perfect shoe if it weren't for the fact that my shoes last a really long time. I remember as a child, my mom would have me buy shoes that were two sizes too big because I would grow into them and they would last longer. I would have never gotten new shoes if I hadn't made up ailments or destroyed them on purpose because a) my feet barely grew, in fact not until I was 23 years old did I figure out my shoe size was actually a whole size smaller than what I had been wearing for the past ten years and b) I seem to buy indestructible shoes. It pissed me off because my brother was buying new shoes every six months!

That pair I threw away in San Francisco, I had them for six years.

Anyway, turns out the mall I was going to go to does not have a New Balance store (LOSE!). I decided to stay on my butt and shop at my favourite store: zappos.com.

I have taken a break from my little online shopping escapade because shoe shopping is so frustrating! Not only do I have to find a pair of sneakers for under $100, they can't have leather or suede, and they have to be cute. Mission impossible? Feels like it.

I read an article the other day about how people aren't supposed to wear shoes and that we walk incorrectly. That makes total sense to me because you would think we would have been made to run around naked like everyone else, yes? But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop wearing shoes (and clothes) because obviously our high tech, dirty, paved society requires that we wear shoes, or else we can get ring worm or step on glass or some other fun games.

Oh, shopping. I love buying stuff, but I hate shopping.

You know who has the best looking athletic type shoes? Skechers, but they are not very veggie friendly, though a lot of their nonsneaker shoes are. I really regret sending back these boots I had bought because I felt I had spent too much. My only two regrets in life have to do with shoes. Those Skechers boots were one of them. The other was a pair of sequined ballet-style flats. They were comfy on the top of the foot, which is hard to find. I can't believe I didn't buy them.

Yes, I am pretty shallow.

Or rather major life events aren't worth feeling regret over because everything happens for a reason, but those shoes, man...I don't see what good came out of not buying them; therefore, I regret.

It's so much easier buying a pair of dress shoes. I have a handful of those I never get a chance to wear. They are all so lovely. Sooooo lovely. They match nothing, but they are so lovely. I could be like Carrie Bradshaw and disregard matching shoes to clothing. Unfortunately that is something I cannot pull off.

This is what happens when I get a whole day off from both jobs. If you read this whole thing, you are my hero.

3 comments:

Britni said...

I read this whole thing, and it really makes me laugh because I hate normal shopping (well unless I'm in really great shape) but I love shoe shopping. I've got tiny feet, but that means they always look great in everything. Shoe shopping is really the highlight to any shopping trip for me, and if I feel awful about the way clothes fit me, I'll buy a pair of shoes to make me feel better. Hence the reason I have racks and racks of shoes...

Um... Yum! said...

You must be shopping at better stores! I have a tough time finding my size. That's why I like zappos because I can search specifically for my size. I also have narrow feet and skinny ankles, which might add to why it's hard to find shoes that look good. Or maybe it's all in my mind. lol

Anonymous said...

Nice post!! I too got pretty shoes for me with affordable price through online shopping.