Thursday, April 24, 2008

Analyzing Analytics

So I've been going through my blog trying to figure out if it's worth saving, updating, etc. I decided to take a look at my Google Analytics again (I actually don't check it this often).

On April 21, I got the most page visits I have in weeks. So I'm all, 'What did I write about on April 21 that was so special?' It was my post saying I'm going to semi-abandon this blog.

I don't know how to take that.

I have been designing the website for my company and looking up a bunch of webdesign tips. (BTW Lissa Explains is one of my favourite websites, and I have been using it for years.)

Many sites say to pick something, something that interests you of course, and focus on that. I don't really have any one thing I can consistently blog about. I can't even consistently blog about my life!

I'm too all over the place.

Astrology blog? I tried that. Didn't work out.

Movie blog? I don't watch enough movies. I watch a lot of movies but not enough.

Crafts blog? I do crafts and stuff, but I have no advice. I suck at them.

Photo blog? I have one, and I can't even keep up with that!

You know, I bitch about things all the time, but I don't even think I could bitch about something everyday. At least, not stuff I'm willing to put on the internet.

Food blog? Health blog? Philosophy blog? Book blog? Spiritual blog?

I've seen many running blogs. Too bad I don't run. I don't exercise.

Sitting blog?

Today I sat in my desk chair and my chair at work. I also sat in my car. I stopped by Bed Bath and Beyond and momentarily sat on one of the beds. It was glorious.

Most personal blogs are about one's life. I find the most interesting personal blogs to be written by people who are an open book. Of course they are free enough to write about sex. Yeah, I will never do that. Never say never. I seriously doubt I would ever do that.

I'm not an open book.

...Unless you meet me, in which case I can't shut up, but I usually just talk about irrelevant things.

Irrelevant blog? Hm...aren't most blogs irrelevant? Some of my favourite ones are. But they are told in a witty fun way.

I had written a blog entry about why I won't live very long and how I'm the friend that nobody likes. I decided not to post it, but it mentioned that perhaps people keep me around only for their amusement. No real interest in me, just the stupid things I have to say because sometimes I spew out a few good nuggets (while the rest of it is verbal diarrhea).

And so that's part of the reason why I am going to start a new blog. It's not a blog really focused on anything, and it's not a blog about my life. It's just a blog about what I have to say about everything else. This is for my own protection. I'm a private person who likes to talk, and that's a bad combination. I'll sometimes say too much and later regret it and feel exposed and/or stupid.

Hopefully the new blog will work out.

Yeah, we'll see.

7 comments:

Pixelation said...

I get your frustration, I really do. I've quit blogging several times, but always come back. (To the same blog. I have a thing about my archives. I like having them all.)

So, I don't know. What do the people you like to read blog about? Heck, what do I write about? I mean, what would you categorize my blog as?

B said...

I've often put my foot in my mouth and just stepped a bit too far with the overshare.. Yeah, sometimes I come out of it feeling really embarrassed but mostly I've decided it's a take it or leave it type of deal with me.

Either way, I suggest you do whatever is best for you :)

Britni said...

I like the blogs that are about a compilation of things anyways.

Technodoll said...

My blog is à la Seinfeld: a blog about nothing, and it works for me! why does it have to be specialized or focussed on one subject matter?...

I'm sure you'll find you niche, and we'll all be here cheering you on!

Um... Yum! said...

Pix, the blogs I like to read about all vary in content. I'm more about how people write. If people write well, I'll read it. You would be one of the well-written blogs I like to read. I'd categorize it as "Random Witty Goodness".

Deut, I enjoy your overshare. :o)

PP, I do, too, but it seems the most successful ones (i.e. lots of hits) are about something, but I think it's because they cater to a certain audience. Hm. I dunno.

Tech, nice comparison. :o) I mean, it doesn't have to be about something, I just want it to be otherwise I get carried away with talking about anything. I'd like my blog to be useful in some way.

Technodoll said...

If I read your blog, it's useful because it makes me smile and get to know how others live their lives... I always feel like I'm "travelling" this way ;-)

You write well, you post interesting content so I don't need a gimmick to visit often... just thought to let you know! :-)

Um... Yum! said...

Aw thanks, Tech! P.S. I'm going to go with your Monday suggestion. I totally agree people need pick-me ups on Mondays! :o)