Monday, April 28, 2008

Introducing Movie Monday!!!

I wanted to have a weekly feature, and thanks to Technodoll and Maxie I will now have Movie Mondays. Rejoice!

Um...I haven't decided if it's just going to be a movie review each Monday or just something randomly movie-related. Probably the latter because my other blog really is more for the former.

But for the first one, I will do a movie review because I just watched the movie Junebug.

I purchased it previously viewed for $3.99 at Blockbuster.

I love Amy Adams, which is why I wanted to watch it. What could have been so Oscar-worthy from such a bigscreen newbie?

The movie really was only worth watching because of her. Yeah, it has a great script, excellent shots, very poignant story, creative characters, superb acting, and wonderful direction, but come on, a lot of indie films these days do! There has to be something that makes it stand out from all others, and for Junebug it is Amy Adams' performance, which I agree with the Academy was worthy of an Oscar nom. This movie just solidifies for me that any movie with her in it is worth watching even if the only good thing about it is her.

Aside from Amy, like I said Junebug is a really good movie. What could have been an overly depressing film, bounced back and keeps the viewer satisfied. Although the ending isn't entirely viewer satisfactory, it's a very good ending. The movie remains real through its entirety. I recommend it to anyone except for those who only watch horror films and/or films saturated with special effects. Junebug does have one special effect, which I only learned about in the commentary. It was an interesting tidbit.

6 comments:

B said...

Hmm... I've never heard of Junebug. I'll have to check that out for sure.

Um... Yum! said...

I only heard of it because I follow the Oscars. :o)

Britni said...

I've never heard of Junebug either but might have to check it out. I love Amy Adams too but honestly had no idea who she was until Enchanted.

Technodoll said...

yaaaayyy something to look forwards to on a Monday! :-D

Funny, your review of "junebug" could have been mine for "juno". Are you sure they aren't the same movie with different actors? haha!

Dolce said...

So funny you mention this movie because just this morning I was thinking about it. I still don't understand what the big deal was about this movie except Amy Adams. What was the point of the story? I just don't get it.

Um... Yum! said...

PP, her first movie was Drop Dead Gorgeous. It's a funny movie if you like really dark and dry humour. :o)

Tech, oooh my review for Juno would also have to go into how much I love Michael Cera. :oD

Dolce, I only got the point of the movie after watching it with the commentary by Amy Adams and Embeth Davidtz. It's about loss and longing. I wanted to point out a certain part of the movie that I thought was clever, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else. :o)