Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Don't steal my car! Wait....is that an olive?

After three hours of sleep I woke up to find out I slept in (or rather kept hitting my snooze button without any awareness of what I was doing). This was at 4:05 AM. Yes, that was oversleeping. I was 10 minutes late to Job #1, but luckily the shift manager who opened didn't care too much. During my shift I felt like crap and kept sneezing. Not good in food service. I was standing outside in the cold all day Saturday car shopping, and then I was standing outside in the cold all day and then part of the night (also in slight rain) for the JEW concert. So more than likely I'm sick.

A few weeks ago, an Artistic Director of a theater in DC called me about photography. He wanted to see if I was interested in shooting some stuff for their play. We never finalized whether I would do it or not, so yesterday I sent him an e-mail because the photo call was today. He called me today to say yes can I be there tonight and also for the post show discussions on Saturday and Sunday. I said sure even though I need sleep, I need to do my homework, I still have to write a research paper that was due last Sunday (hey, I've been a little distracted with car stuff and almost getting smacked by a drumset), and I have stuff to do for Job #2. I spent two hours working on Job #2 stuff, so I could at least send them something. Homework shmomework. As long as I pass the classes with a B I'll be satisfied. I'll write the paper. Hopefully tomorrow. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

So at around 5:00 I hopped in my car and went to DC. The theater I was going to is located next to another theater where I had an audition at two years ago, so I was sort of familiar with how to get there and the awful parking situation. It was either deal with the parking situation or walk all the way from the Gallaudet Metro stop, which is a mile from the theater. Walk a mile through a raunchy part of DC at night? Hellsno!

It only takes about 30 minutes to get there. I had to be there around 7:00. But I hate being late to things like that, so better super early than a little late. I got there around six because I missed a turn and had to wing it through a whole other way (luckily my intuition is like a GPS system...which doesn't explain why I missed the turn), and then I did a weird lap around the place trying to find parking on the street. The street had meters, some were covered with "Emergency Parking Only" signs, and there were signs sectioning off parts of the curb you couldn't park at. I finally settled on a spot but wasn't sure it was kosher. During the whole time I was inside the theater, I was worried my car would be towed, ticketed, or stolen.

Luckily Simon was ok.

There was condensation on my windows, so I used my wipers and such, and as I was driving, I noticed a little black thing on the hood of my car. It looked like an olive. I thought, 'What the fuck? Did someone rub a Subway sandwich on my car?' And instead of planning on cleaning it off when I got home, I hoped it wouldn't fall off because I planned on taking a picture of it instead. A picture of a random olive on my car. Funny stuff, man.

Then I noticed another one on the other side in an identical spot, and it occurred to me that they weren't actually olives but may in fact be parts of the car.

I didn't check though. I don't like standing around outside in my neighborhood. I get inside as fast as possible.

I may be a very trusting person and think highly of people, but I watch out for my own ass.

So now I'm home. I was going to edit the pictures and put them on a cd, then I discovered...all my pictures are tiny. It was the first time I did a whole shoot using all manual settings, and I had been messing around with stuff, and I thought all my other shoots had been done on a raw format as well but apparently not. I shot half of the play using RAW+B, but it was taking up too much memory, so I thought I would just do RAW. Well, apparently doing RAW means I have to use PictureProject and connect my camera directly to my computer otherwise they will be the stupid thumbnails I see right now! DAMN YOU NIKON!!!

I'm starting to feel like Canon is the better brand. Have you seen Elyse Sewell's pictures? They are amazing, and she uses a Canon, and it's a oneshot, not a dSLR. That's impressive.

Although I'm sure a couple of you are probably thinking the RAW thing is not just Nikon, but still...they could have explained it better.

And Canons look more professional. I think because they are so fucking huge.

I'm going to deal with the RAW images tomorrow. I'm done for the day. No more. I can't take it!

No comments: