Monday, December 3, 2007

Cool hands on your...what?

Job #2 canceled work today, so I decided I should use this time to finish all of my work for my online class. I wrote two paragraphs and got sidetracked.

Fellow JEW fan Steph asked me if I knew what Jim is singing in "Stop". Cool on hands on your... Many people seem to think it's "steps". Steph's guess is "stay". I decided to type up all the lyrics I could understand and play the song really loud. I've officially shortened my hearing life, but who cares? It took me two hours, but I am so sure I have the right word, and I am so proud of that, so I am writing a whole blog entry about it!

(And for those of you who don't understand, "Stop" is a song off of what has been called by JEW fans as Chase These Demos. They are unofficial, and the band was upset that they were leaked. If we were good people, we would have refused to download them. But we aren't good people...we are fans.)

Stop lyrics
Jimmy Eat World

Don't have to be the prettiest
If you have the mind, the willingness
No one stops [incoherent] she's got
No reason why
I can't help following with my eyes
Even at my best I guess I'm still just one of them

I see it all in my head
Cool hands on your sweat
You wanna make me mad
Stop 'cause I am
You can call this a game
You can look at my face
You wanna hurt me, baby
Stop 'cause you have

Combination, both strong and lost
How easily you turn then turn it off
Do you take what you want
And save it for a better time
Don't act that way
Honey, I don't buy it at all
If you're really as tough as your defenses
You'd let them fall

[Chorus x2]

You wanna see me mad
Stop 'cause I am
You wanna hurt me, baby
Stop 'cause you have


SWEAT!!! BOO-YAH!!!!

If I'm wrong, I'll still insist that I'm right. Even if Jim says I'm wrong, I'll think he's lying.

After I figured that part out, I searched for what other people thought. Here are some that stood out to me:

But he has taught as your defenses and let them fall
...Um...that doesn't even make sense.

Combination of song and lust
Song and lust? Srsly?

Alright, I still need to figure out the part I marked [incoherent]. Many people think it's No one stops and no one knows what she's got, but obviously just because many people think something, it doesn't make it right. When I think something, that is what makes it right.

Yes, I really am this stubborn.

No, I'm not.

Yes.

No, no. I am.

2 comments:

Get Me an Entertainment Job said...

"Even at my best I guess I'm still just one of them." Very similar to Tom's "I'll miss you when you're just like them." OMG IS HE TALKING ABOUT JIM??!!

anyways, i love so many lines in this song. First, the whole chorus:

You wanna make me mad
Stop 'cause I am
You can call this a game
You can look at my face
You wanna hurt me, baby
Stop 'cause you have


and then this:

Don't act that way
Honey, I don't buy it at all
If you're really as tough as your defenses
You'd let them fall


Jim is a genius!

Um... Yum! said...

Stop is about Tom! Tom and his drug problem!