Sunday, December 2, 2007

COLLEGE PAPER WRITE I HATE BOOOOOOOOO

I had a research paper due in my online introduction to interpreting class maybe three weeks ago. I'm still working on it. My topic is interpreting in Canada.

As I was sitting here researching it, I suddenly remembered that this morning when I was at Job #1, around like 6:30 AM when no one was really in there yet, a customer came up to the register and signed to me that she wanted a Venti mild coffee. I didn't miss a beat and started to sign back to her. We hadn't started brewing the mild yet. I asked her if she wanted to wait five minutes or try the bold. She tasted it and didn't like it. We kept signing to each other, and she decided to get a Venti skim no-whip Mocha. Ok, so most of that information was irrelevant, but I felt like sharing anyway. She asked me where I learned to sign, and I told her. She said she used to teach there and asked me who was my teacher. I told her I'm taking interpreting classes, but I told her the names of some teachers I had before when taking ASL. She knew one of them. She told me how her children are interpreters.

After she left, I wanted to keep signing to people! I'm not that good at communicating in ASL yet (I've only finished ASL IV), but I still love it. I'm not sure yet how I feel about interpreting, but I definitely want to become fluent in ASL.

And in something not related to ASL but related to the fact that I have to write a research paper for intro to interpretation. No matter what a person's major is, it seems everyone's major in college is writing fucking essays! It doesn't matter what you want to learn or study. If you don't like writing essays, college is set up so that you're not good enough to earn a degree in something that has nothing to do with writing essays. In the world of academia: good essay writing skills = success! Bad essay writing skills = wah wah wah FAILURE!

I hate writing research papers and essays. Interpreters don't write essays. Why should it matter how well I write an essay when it comes to earning an associate's degree in interpretation?

I wonder how many essays math majors write. Like I said, it doesn't matter what your major is. I mean, in graduate school, you need a thesis, right? Oh, what is a thesis...a large fucking paper????? Of course some can be thesis projects, not papers, like art projects, but for the most part, there's writing involved.

Obviously, I love to write. I write creative essays, screenplays, play scripts, poems, songs, stories, blog entries, etc. I'm pretty sure I'm going to grow up to be a writer (yeah, I still say "grow up to be" at 24 years old). I guess my random point is it doesn't seem right that if you suck at writing essays, you're not going to do well in college. Period. It doesn't seem right because how often do you write essays other than in college or high school? It doesn't seem to be a good measure of how smart or capable a person is in their field of study.

I suck at writing academic essays. I suck at college.

...And yet I still pay to go.

No comments: